March 17, 2011 DO 24, s. 2011 – Changes in DepEd Order No. 88, s. 2010 (2010 Revised Manual of Regulations for Private Schools in Basic Education)
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units Regional Directors
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- The 2010 Revised Manual of Regulations for Private Schools in Basic Education (“2010 Revised Manual of Regulations”) was issued through DepEd Order No. 88, s. 2010 on June 24, 2010.
- It was observed that Section 153 of the 2010 Revised Manual of Regulations reads, among other things, as follows:
Section 153. Guidelines on the Selection of Honor Pupils and Students in Elementary and Secondary Schools. If a private school fails to adopt a set of criteria, the following policies and rules shall apply in the resolution of issues relative to graduation honors in the elementary and secondary levels:
xxx xxx xxx
- A candidate for graduation honors should take the last two curriculum years of the program or course in the school where he is to graduate, complete the entire program or course within the prescribed number of curricular years, and with no failing grade in any subject.
- The following factors and corresponding relative weights toward the evaluation of appropriate graduation honors, such as Class Valedictorian and Class Salutatorian or any other class distinctive academic honors, should be considered:
Scholarship (Academic and Vocational) 6
Character and Conduct 3
Co-Curricular Activities 1
- The ranking on Scholarship will be based on the general average of the pupils or students in the last two curriculum years of the program or course and the student with the highest average will be considered first in the consequent ranking.
- The ranking relative to Character and Conduct of the pupils and students should be based on the combined judgment of all the academic personnel of the graduating class.
- The ranking on Co-Curricular Activities should be based on performance and degree of involvement of the pupils or students in activities authorized by the school during the last two curriculum years of the program or course.
- In determining the final rank of each candidate, the ranking on the quality factors should be multiplied by the corresponding weight, and the sum thereof divided by 10.
- However, the aforecited paragraphs k, l, m, n, o, and p of Section 153 of the said Manual came from previous DepEd issuances which were already superseded by DepEd Order No. 92, s. 2009 and DepEd Order No. 4, s. 2010, from which Section 153 of the 2010 Revised Manual of Regulations is based. Thus, the said provisions of the superseded DepEd issuances were erroneously included in the 2010 Revised Manual of Regulations, and therefore, must be deleted therefrom.
- Accordingly, the abovecited paragraphs are hereby deleted from Section 153 of the 2010 Revised Manual of Regulations.
- This DepEd Order is approved and shall take effect upon its publication in the DepEd website: www.deped.gov.ph.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order: (Nos. 4 and 88, s. 2010, and 92, s. 2009)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
RULES and REGULATIONS