September 19, 2013 DO 41, s. 2013 – Guidelines on the Utilization of Support Fund to Secondary Schools with Special Programs for the Arts and Sports for SY 2013-2014
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Regional Secretary, ARMM Regional Directors
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Secondary Schools
- In line with the thrust to improve the quality of teaching and performance of talented secondary school students, the Department of Education (DepEd) implemented the Special Program for the Arts (SPA) and the Special Program for Sports (SPS) since 2000 in selected public secondary schools nationwide. The schools offering SPA and SPS provide development opportunities to high school students with high inclination and potential for arts and sports.
- As a support to the program, a developmental fund amounting to Five Hundred Thousand Pesos (P 500,000.00) was granted to 17 recipient schools of SPA and SPS for three consecutive years, from 2008 to 2010, to augment their regular Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE). The 17 expansion schools of the two programs, which started to receive the support fund in 2011, shall continue to receive the same amount for 2013. The lists of 2011-2013 recipient schools of SPA and SPS are contained in Enclosure Nos. 1 and 2.
- The recipient schools were selected by the DepEd regional offices (ROs) based on teacher qualifications, availability of support facilities and equipment, and compliance with the criteria and standards set for those with special curricular programs or offerings.
- The schools shall serve as the center for arts and sports development in the division. They will provide opportunities for students to develop their talents and skills in the arts and sports, and to produce trainers and mentors for other schools in the division intending to implement the same program.
- The funds shall be utilized for the following purposes as reflected in the schools’ Annual Implementation Plan:
- Student development activities, such as training, workshop, and participation in DepEd-approved festivals and competitions;
- Professional Training and Development of teachers and administrators on relevant topics in sports or arts-related seminars sponsored or authorized by DepEd and payment of tuition and miscellaneous expenses of teachers enrolled in sports or arts-related graduate programs; and
- Purchase of supplies related to art, music and sports; costumes, uniforms and instructional materials in the different arts and sports areas.
- The following expenditures shall not be allowed under the fund:
- Personal Services such as salaries and honoraria;
- Operational expenses such as utilities (water, electricity, janitorial and security services) funded from regular MOOE; and
- Capital Outlay items, such as musical equipment and computers, and major repairs of equipment and laboratories.
- Upon release of the allotment by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) to DepEd Central Office (CO), the Budget Division-Finance and Management Service (FMS) shall issue Sub-Allotment Release Order (Sub-ARO) to the schools with financial autonomy or implementing units (IUs) and/or through the schools division offices (DOs) for schools without fiscal autonomy. After receipt of the Sub-ARO, the secondary IUs and the DOs shall request from the concerned DBM regional offices (ROs) the corresponding cash requirements or Notice of Cash Allocation (NCA).
- Management and disbursement of the funds, including the submission of quarterly physical and financial accomplishment reports on every third day of the month of the succeeding quarter (April 3, July 3, October 3 and January 3) using the prescribed template in Enclosure No. 3 to the schools division office concerned, shall be the responsibility of the school heads of the implementing schools subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
- The DO shall conduct progress monitoring of the implementation of the planned activities of the program and submit the consolidated Physical and Financial Accomplishments using Enclosure No. 4 on every fifth day of the month of the succeeding quarter (April 5, July 5, October 5 and January 5) to the RO concerned, copy furnished the BSE, DepEd CO through email address: firstname.lastname@example.org and Office of the Planning Service-Planning and Programming Division (OPS-PPD), DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City through email address: email@example.com.
- The RO shall conduct quality assurance on the effective delivery of SPA and SPS programs based on standards and shall extend technical assistance to DO where the school is located.
- To ensure effective and efficient implementation of the program, an evaluation shall be conducted by a composite task force in coordination with the OPS.
- All existing Orders and Memoranda inconsistent with this Order are rescinded. These guidelines shall remain in force and in effect, unless sooner repealed, amended, or rescinded.
- For more information and inquiries, all concerned may contact the Director, Bureau of Secondary Education, 3rd Floor Bonifacio Building, DepEd Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telefax no.: (02) 632-7586 or at email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order No.: 56, s. 2012
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: