DO 5, s. 1986 – Essentials and Requirements for Medical Schools
To: Bureau Directors
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
Deans of Colleges of Medicine
- The inclosed “Essentials and Requirements for Issuance of Authority to Operate a Medical School,” as approved by the Board of Medical Education, is hereby issued for strict observance in the establishment of a medical school and in the grant of government authority for the operation of the four-year course leading to the degree of Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), beginning the school year 1986-87.
- Existing medical schools shall take such action as may be necessary to meet the standards by the end of school year 1986-87. The determination of compliance or non-compliance shall be done by the Board of Medical Education, taking into consideration the findings and recommendations of the Commission on Medical Education and of the Accreditation Committee of the Association of Philippine Medical Colleges (APMC), which bodies shall discuss their studies and findings with each medical school concerned in the course of school year 1986-87.
- The following sanctions shall be applied against any medical school, for failure to comply with the specific requirements of the Essentials, viz:
- Reduction in student quota, for Filipino and foreign students, beginning the school year 1987-88, for failure to satisfy the prescribed requirements in terms of school administration, library, faculty, student fees, and curriculum as of the end of the school year 1986-87.
- Ban on enrolment of first year students, beginning the school year 1987-88, for failure to comply with the prescribed minimum standards on clinical facilities.
- Withdrawal or cancellation of the school’s government authority to operate, for failure to fully comply with the prescribed requirements after three (3) years from the last evaluation conducted on the school.
- Upon request of the Ministry, the Accreditation Committee of the Association of Philippine Medical Colleges (APMC) may be further authorized and delegated to conduct visitation to and inspection of the medical schools, to determine their observance of or compliance with the requirements in the inclosed Essentials as well as other prescriptions as called for in other relevant policies and rules or standards of the Ministry.
- It is understood that the standing policy of the Board of Medical Education against the opening of new medical schools shall continue to be in effect until further notice.
- The cooperation of all concerned is hereby enjoined.
Incl.: As stated
Allotment: 1-3-4—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
ADMISSION OR ENROLMENT
BOARD OR COUNCIL
COURSE OF STUDY, COLLEGIATE
RULES AND REGULATIONS
SOCIETY OR ASSOCIATIONS