DO 11, s. 1987 – Prescribing the Functions and Responsibilities of the Assistant Secretary for Personnel Management and Development
To: Deputy Ministers
Cultural Agency Directors
Chief of Service and Heads of Units/Centers
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Colleges/Universities
Vocational School Superintendents/ Administrators
- The Assistant Secretary for Personnel Management and Development shall have the following functions and responsibilities:
- General Functions
- To advise and assist Ministry management on all matters pertaining to personnel planning, management and development, implement the programs of the Ministry along these lines in order to improve the quality of the public service, and serve as the principal liaison official of the Ministry along these lines in order to improve the quality of the public service, and serve as the principal liaison official of the Ministry with the Civil Service Commission. (Per PD 1138)
- Provide leadership in and exercise overall supervision over the conduct of operations and activities relative to personnel management and administration, and human resources development.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Minister/Deputy Minister or as may be provided by law.
- Specific Functions and Authorities
- Exercise direct supervision over the Personnel Division (presently under the Administrative Service) and the Training Staff. (Pending creation of the HRDS)
- Formulate and, upon approval, implement a staff development program for the MECS in coordination with relevant internal and external units, offices and bureaus.
- Develop and, upon approval, establish grievance machinery for complaints on personnel and related matters in the MECS.
- Formulate and, upon approval, coordinate a program for improving staff morale and productivity in the MECS.
- Develop a comprehensive Personnel Information System (PIS) which shall allow for adequate and speedy monitoring, planning and projection of MECS staffing requirements.
- Develop a relevant and realistic performance appraisal system for school and non-school personnel.
- Exercise direct supervision, in behalf of the Deputy Minister for Administration, over the National Learning Center (once activated).
- Assume the chairmanship of the Selection and Promotion Boards of the MECS Central Office.
- Assume specific authorities and take final action on personnel transactions and matters, subject to established Ministry policies and standards, as follows:
- Approval of authority for local travel of officials and employees below CESO- level for a period not exceeding three (3) months exclusive of travel time.
- Approval of vacation leaves of absence of officials and employees in the Central Office equivalent to chief of division and below, subject to paragraph 2m-(5) of MECS Order No. 49, s. 1986.
- Approval of requests for transfer of Level I and Level II employees in the Central Office.
- Recommendations for appointment/promotion of officials and employees in the Personnel Division and the Training Staff.
- Initials all communications involving personnel matters prepared for the signature of higher officials.
- Appointment and extension of casual and contractual employees in the Central Office.
- Original and promotional appointments of Level I employees in the Central Office.
- Approval of details or reassignments of Level I personnel within the Central Office.
- Acceptance/Approval of resignations/retirements of Level I and Level II employees in the Central Office, except chiefs and assistant chiefs of division.
- Approval of terminal leave and the commutation of the money value of leave credits.
- All other personnel actions (reinstatements, separations, protests and employee grievances, merit increases, etc.) with respect to Level I employees and to Level II employees as appropriate in the Central Office.
- Represent the Deputy Minister for Administration in meetings, both internal and external, pertaining to personnel matters.
- Sign all outgoing correspondence and inter-office memoranda with respect to matter involving personnel management and administration that are adequately covered by Ministry policies and standards and/or pertaining to the implementation of approved policies, plans and programs.
- General Functions
- This Order accordingly amends MECS Order No. 49, s. 1986.
(SGD.) LOURDES R. QUISUMBING
Reference: MECS Order: (No. 49, s. 1986)
Allotment: 1—-(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
BUREAUS AND OFFICES
RULES AND REGULATIONS