DO 11, s. 1989 – Implementation of the New Secondary Education Curriculum under the 1989 Secondary Development Program Amended by DO 32, s. 1991 – Corrigendum to DECS Order No. 11, s. 1989 (Implementation of the New Secondary Education Curriculum under the 1989 Secondary Education Development Programs) DO 66, s. 1992 – Corrigendum to DECS Order No. 11, s. 1989 (Implementation of the New Secondary Education Curriculum Under the 1989 Secondary Education Development Program)
Bureau Directors/Cultural Agency Directors
Chiefs of Services and Heads of Units/Centers
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Vocational School Superintendents/Administrators
- The 1989 Secondary Education Development Program (SEDP) is a response to the following needs:
- Continue the pupil development started by the Program for Decentralized Educational Development (PRODED);
- Improve the quality of high school graduates and internal efficiency of the System; and
- Expand access to quality secondary education.
- The New Secondary Education Curriculum (NSEC) of the SEDP is cognitive-affective-manipulative based. Focus is on substantive and process content, values development, productivity and technology.
- The eight subject areas in the NSEC are:
Science and Technology
Technology and Home Economics
Pangkatawan at Musika (Physical Education, Health and Music)
The implementation of Technology and Home Economics (THE) is deferred for school year 1989-1990. Only Regional Leader Schools and selected tryout schools will conduct the tryout of the new materials for THE for school year 1989-1990. All other secondary schools shall continue the teaching of Practical Arts until official notice is released.
- The NSEC shall be implemented in all types of public and private high schools, including technical and vocational institutions and high school departments of state colleges and universities starting the school year 1989-1990.
- The following timetable indicates the implementation of the NSEC by year level:
School Year Level
1989 – 1990 First Year
1990 – 1991 Second Year
1991 – 1992 Third Year
1992 – 1993 Fourth Year
- The legal basis and salient features of the NSEC are included in Inclosures Nos. 1 and 2 to this Order, respectively. Guidelines for effective implementation are indicated in Inclosure No. 3 to this Order.
- A separation Order on the rating scheme shall be issued by this Office.
- Immediate dissemination of this Order is desired.
(SGD.) LOURDES R. QUISUMBING
Incls.: As stated
Reference: Department Order: No. 20, s. 1973 Circular: No. 3.
Allotment: 1-2-3-4–(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
Course of Study, SECONDARY