DO 21, s. 1989 – Implementing Guidelines for Department of Education, Culture and Sports Compliance with Republic Act 6679 (Generic Act of 1988)
March 8, 1989
DO 21, s. 1989
Implementing Guidelines for Department of Education, Culture and Sports Compliance with Republic Act 6679 (Generic Act of 1988)
To: Bureau Directors
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
Vocational School Superintendents/Administrators
- In compliance with Republic Act 6675, otherwise known as the Generic Act 1988, the Department of Education, Culture and Sports hereby issues guidelines for the implementation of this Act within its realm of responsibility.
- An intensive information and education drive shall be undertaken to teach school personnel and students at all educational levels. Such educational campaign shall include information on the illness or symptoms, which each generically named drug is supposed to cure or alleviate, as well as its contra-indication. This information and educational drive shall be done thru:
– the active involvement of all designated DECS Information Officers
in the dissemination of information relative to the use of generics;
– inclusion or the Generic Act as a priority additional topic for discussion during conference and seminars;
– mobilization of school health personnel on the information and education drive;
– integration of the use of generics in appropriate subject areas in the secondary and the tertiary curricular; and
– Publication of the Generic Act in school organs/newsletter; and provision of bulletin board display for leaflets, posters, relative to the use of generics.
- In addition to the existing rules on the procurement of drugs and medicines for use of school health personnel in health services, school administrators are requested to procure drugs and medicines on the basis of their generic use. All documents relating to procurements and disbursement, such as RIV’s, budget documents, purchase orders, vouchers and other, shall specify drug product items in their generic names. This shall cover both regular as well as emergency procurements, bidding as well as canvass.
- All school physicians are enjoined to adopt and practice generic dispensing.
- Closed monitoring of the full implementation of this Act shall be done thru the Health and Nutrition Center, this Department.
- Inclosed is the copy of the full text of Republic Act 6675 and the implementation Guidelines for Department of Health Compliance with RA 6675 (Generics Act of 1988) for the information and guidance of all.
- It is requested that this Order be disseminated immediately.
(SGD.) LOURDES R. QUISUMBING
Incls.: As stated
Allotment: 1-2-3-4–(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual – Index under the following subjects:
BUREAUS & OFFICES
RULES & REGULATIONS