To: Bureau Directors
In view of the increasing requests and applications to establish and operate elementary and secondary schools for dependents of Filipinos working abroad, this Office is hereby issuing the following guidelines:
- Applications should be coursed through the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and duly endorsed by that Office to the DECS Secretary.
- Applications shall be received by this Office at least six months before the target spending of the school, an exemption from B.P. 232
- The proposed school should be administered and supervised by the Chief of Mission of the Philippine Embassy in the country where the school is to be established.
- Payment of the following fees:
- Application fee – P 25.00
- Inspection fee – 500.00
- School Bonds:
Preschool Course – P1,000.00
Elementary Course – 2,000.00
Secondary Course – 2,000.00
- Permit to operate should be applied for by the school on a yearly basis.
- The school is required to submit to this Office annual reports including enrolment and promotion reports.
- A certificate of recognition may be applied for after one year of successful operation. An ocular inspection of the school by an official authorized by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is necessary before the certificate of recognition may be granted.
- Teachers to be hired by the school should be educationally qualified and competent to teach in accordance with the new curricula for elementary and secondary education.
- The school should implement the current curricula of the DECS and should use textbooks that have been recommended by the same Office.
- Yearly assessment of the school performance in general shall be made by the DECS in coordination with or through the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Embassy/Consular Office concerned.
(SGD.) LOURDES R. QUISUMBING
Allotment: 1–(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
BUREAUS & OFFICES
RULES & REGULATIONS