DO 24, s. 1990 – THE PRESIDENT’S ANNUAL SUMMER YOUTH PROGRAM
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
Superintendents of Technical and Vocational Schools
- In accordance with Executive Order No. 395 issued on February 20, 1990, the President’s Annual Summer Youth Program is hereby established. For summer 1990, the program shall be implemented nationwide from April 2 to May 31, 1990 to encourage high school, college and vocational students as well as the out-of-school youths (OSYs) aged 15-24 years old to engage in productive activities during the summer vacation.
- The program shall have five (5) components, as follows:
- Government Internship Program (GIP). The GIP shall seek to initiate its youth participants into public service by involving them with government programs and projects, through the various departments and agencies. The implementation of the program component shall be coordinated by the Civil Service Commission (CSC).
- Summer Work Appreciation Program for Students (SWAPS). The SWAPS shall develop the values of work appreciation and ethics among college and high school students by providing them with apprenticeship and actual work opportunities in private establishments. The program shall involve various private section groups and employers federation and shall be coordinated by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
- Program on Culture and Arts. The program shall provide the youth opportunities to develop appreciation and knowledge of Philippine culture and history. Program implementation shall be jointly undertaken by the Department of Tourism (DOT) and the Department of Education, Culture and Sports (DECS).
- Sports Program. The program shall provide training and instruction on various popular sports, for the enhancement of the physical walk being of participating youth. Program coordination shall be undertaken by the Department of Local Government (DLG).
- Immersion and Outreach Program (IOP). The IOP aims to instill in the youth a sense of community service and volunteerism for the less privileged sectors of the society. The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) shall be the lead agency in the implementation of this program.
- The program on culture, arts and tourism shall be jointly undertaken by the Department of Tourism (DOT) and by the Department of Education, Culture and Sports (DECS), in coordination with the Bureau of Higher Education (BHE), the National Historical Institute (NHI), the National Museum (NM), the National Library (NL), and the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP).
- Inasmuch as the clientele of all program components are students and out-of-school youths, all DECS line officials and heads of both public and private institutions are enjoined to cooperate with all participating agencies in disseminating information about the programs as well as in encouraging and facilitating the participation of the target clientele. Inquiries about each program are to be directed to the Action Officers listed in the Inclosure.
- Participants of the various programs may enjoy certain incentives, such as stipends and allowances, insurance coverage, free admission to cultural and historical tours, certificates of accreditation for a 20-hour credit in Citizens Military Training.
- The 1990 PSYP DECS Coordinating Committee, to be headed by the Undersecretary for Higher Education/Culture and Arts, is hereby designated, to consist of the PSYP Action Officers of the BHE, NHI, NL, NM, and the CCP.
- This Order shall take effect immediately.
Incl.: As stated
Reference: DECS Orders: Nos. 19 and 31, s. 1989
Allotment: 1-2-3-4—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
BUREAUS AND OFFICES