DO 88, s. 1990 – Creation of the Board of Nonformal Education
Bureau Directors/Cultural Agency Directors
Directors of Services and Heads of Units/Centers
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
Vocational School Superintendents/Administrators
- Article XIV, Section 2 of the Philippine Constitution provides that “the State shall encourage nonformal, informal and indigenous learning systems, as well as self-learning, independent and out-of-school study programs, particularly those that respond to community needs and provide adult citizens, the disabled, and out-of-school youth with training in civics, vocational efficiency and other skills.”
- In support of the above provision, the DECS implements a nonformal education program with three major areas of concern, namely: a) functional literacy, b) livelihood skills development, and c) values development. The clientele of the program include the out-of-school youth and adults, the disadvantaged and the disabled and special groups like women and children.
- Considering the big sector of the population being served and the magnitude of the services rendered, it becomes imperative to establish/create a Board of Nonformal Education to support maximization of efforts and resources for an effective and productive nonformal education program.
- The Board of Nonformal Education which this Order creates shall have the following functions:
a. Make policy recommendations regarding the planning, implementation and monitoring/evaluation of an effective system of nonformal education, in both the public and private sectors;
- The chairman and members of the Board shall meet at least once a month to discuss various matters for speedy and efficient nonformal education services.
- Officials and employees of the DECS central and regional offices are enjoined to give full support and cooperation to the efforts of the nonformal education program and the immediate and wide dissemination of this Order.
(SGD.) ISIDRO D. CARIÑO
Allotment: 1-2-3-4—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
BOARD or COUNCIL