June 25, 1992 – DO 68, s. 1992 – Full Deregulation for Excellent Higher Education Programs
To: Bureau Directors
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Pursuant to Section 29, Batas Pambansa Blg. 232 in relation to Rule IV of the Rules and Regulations for the implementation of the said act, necessary measures have been undertaken to identify the excellent programs offered by various colleges and universities.
- It has been a declared policy of the State to encourage and assist educational institutions, thru this department, to attain high levels of quality higher education.
- An initial list of excellent schools was released in DECS Order No. 137, s. 1991. This Office is of the opinion, however, that programs rather than schools should be identified as excellent. Pending the results of the evaluation of non-baccalaureate programs, the DECS shall limit its list of excellent programs only to baccalaureate programs in private colleges and universities.
- The identified programs offered in various higher education institutions shall be given full deregulation or complete administrative curricula and financial autonomy for two (2) years beginning school year 1992-1993. A list of identified excellent programs is inclosed.
- The criteria used in the determination of excellent programs are the following:
- All programs have been recommended by the regional Offices based on the record of consistently good performance of these schools.
- All programs have attained at least Level III status as certified by existing accrediting agencies and/or recommended by corresponding technical panels.
- Good performance of graduates thru the years as substantiated by their consistent high percentage of passing obtained in national examination and/or by the business or industry they have worked with since their graduation.
- Monitoring and evaluation of schools and programs are basic and continuing activities of the regions and this Office emphasizes the need for the regions to use objective measures in their evaluation.
Incl.: As stated
Reference: DECS Order: No. 137, s. 1991
Allotment: 1-3-4—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
COURSE OF STUDY, COLLEGIATE
RULES AND REGULATIONS
UNIVERSITIES AND COLLEGES