July 1, 1994 – DO 50, s. 1994 – Guidelines for Teaching Assignments in the Intermediate Grades
July 1, 1994
DO 50, s. 1994
Guidelines for Teaching Assignments in the Intermediate Grades
To: Regional Directors, Division Superintendents
All Others Concerned
- In order to achieve greater efficiency and economy in the vise of human resources within DECS, beginning with the school year 1995-96 elementary grades teachers shall be assigned to intermediate grade classes at a ratio not exceeding four (4) teachers for every three (3) classes, in order to maximize the use of the limited teacher items available for public schools. The former teacher to class ratios of 3:2 and 5:3 shall be phased out whenever possible, to be replaced by this single standard ratio. No departmentalization shall be undertaken for Grades I to IV under any circumstances.
- The allocation of teacher items shall be done in conjunction with the strict restructuring of classes on the basis of a minimum of 15 and a maximum of 56 pupils per class. The maximum of 56 shall be maintained at all times, and classes shall be divided only if they exceed the maximum. Classes with a total curriculum year enrolment of less than 15 shall be integrated into multi-grade classes. For accurate and fast computation, division offices shall obtain copies of the computerized allocation system from their respective regional offices.
- No elementary teacher shall be terminated on the basis of the implementation of this prospective policy, but affected teachers may be assigned to other positions in the same elementary school.
- Regional directors shall closely monitor and supervise the implementation of this Order.
- This Order shall become effective with the school year 1995-1996, and those DECS issuances which may be inconsistent or contradictory with this Order are hereby revoked or modified accordingly, including DECS Order No. 39, s. 1990.
References: DECS Orders; Nos. 22, s. 1994 and (39, s. 1990)
Allotment: 1-2–(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
Course of Study, ELEMENTARY
RULES & REGULATIONS