July 15, 1994 – DO 57, s. 1994 – Declaring Government Health Facilities in the Country as Smoke-Free Zones
July 15, 1994
DO 57, s. 1994
Declaring Government Health Facilities in the Country as Smoke-Free Zones
To: Undersecretaries and Assistant Secretaries
Bureau/Cultural Agency Directors
Bureau Directors, Regional Directors, and Schools Superintendents
Heads of State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
- In response to Presidential Proclamation No- 400 ; dated May 30, 1994, entitled “Declaring Health Facilities in the Country as Smoke-Free Zones”, copy inclosed, all medical, dental, and other health facilities in public and private schools, colleges and universities as well as in all DECS Offices and attached agencies shall be declared Smoke-Free Zones.
- Heads of schools and offices concerned are instructed to post “This is a Smoke-Free Zone” signs in their health facilities as well as in DECS premises.
- In view of the adverse effects of cigarette smoking on health and the exemplary role, of school personnel in the development of values among the school children and youth, and in accordance with previous memoranda issuance on Anti-Smoking Drive, the following strategies shall be implemented
– Teachers shall Integrate concepts on the dangers of cigarette smoking in appropriate subject areas in the elementary and secondary curricula;
– School health personnel shall initiate the dissemination of information on the relationship of cigarette smoking and health;
– Elementary and secondary school administrators shall prohibit smoking in classroom, toilets, conference rooms and in any other places as deemed necessary. Sale of cigarette inside school and office premises shall likewise be discouraged; and
– Tertiary school administrators are encouraged to spearhead the information drive on the adverse effects of smoking.
- For strict compliance.
DECS Bulletin: No. 4, s. 1987
DECS Order: No. 2, s. 1991
Unnumbered Memorandum dated September 9, 1991
Allotment: 1-2-3-4—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
BUREAUS & OFFICES
RULES & REGULATIONS