DO 31, s. 1996 – Hiring of School Nurses for CY 1996
May 7, 1996
To: Regional Directors
Regional Secretary – DECS-ARMM
- The General Appropriations Act of 1996 provides specific funds under the Poverty Alleviation Fund (PAF) for the DECS Preventive Health Care Program including the hiring of 2,240 school nurses to serve in the elementary and secondary schools of 4th, 5th and 6th class municipalities, especially in priority areas of the SRA-CIDSS.
- In order to effectively implement the memorandum of the President, regional directors are hereby directed to recruit immediately and hire nurses through the division offices. The following guidelines should be considered in the hiring of nurses:
- that the authorized items be utilized for the DECS Preventive Health Care Program for the elementary and secondary levels;
- that priority be given to divisions included in the Social Reform Agenda – Comprehensive Integrated Delivery of Social Services (SRA- CIDSS), 4th, 5th and 6th class municipalities and lahar stricken areas in case of Region III;
- that priority in the hiring of nurses be given to: nurses residing in the area of assignment, qualified OCW nurses especially those who were previously holding permanent, positions in the public school system;
- that the minimum ratio of 1 nurse to 2,000 pupils/ students be applied in the allocation of items in the SRA-CIDSS areas; 1:3,000 for the 6th class municipalities; 1:4,000 for 5th class and 1:5,000 for 4th class municipalities in all others. No items were allocated to city and newly created divisions because of their accessibility to health services and primary health care facilities. However, should there be available items, these will be considered;
- that the hiring of nurses for the positions shall be in accordance with the Civil Service rules and regulations;
- that the hiring of new nurses shall be provisional in nature;
- that the funding requirement for the implementa¬tion of the DECS Preventive Health Care Program be charged against the Poverty Alleviation Fund (PAF) of the General Appropriations Act of 1996; and
- that all necessary measures be undertaken to ensure that the newly hired nurses report to their assigned post at the opening of classes in June.
- The Health and Nutrition Center, DECS, Pasig City shall develop the Poverty Alleviation Program through Preventive Health Care, at the same time oversee the implementation of the program including the training of these nurses.
- A xerox copy of the appointment shall be submitted to the Health and Nutrition Center, DECS, Pasig City within one month of approval of appointment including a deployment report.
- Inclosed is the allocation List of New Nurses Items under the Poverty Alleviation Fund.
- Immediate compliance with this Order is directed.
Allotment: 1-2—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
APPOINTMENT, EMPLOYMENT, REAPPOINTMENT HEALTH EDUCATION