DO 33, s. 1996 – Reiterating the Implementation of Republic Act No. 1425 Mandating the Inclusion of “Rizal’s Life, Works, Writings, Teachings and Virtues” as a Course
To: Regional Directors
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
- There is a need to further re-strengthen our commitment to the ideals of freedom and nationalism for which our heroes lived and died. In honoring them, particularly the national hero and patriot Dr. Jose P. Rizal, we remember with utmost respect, and devotion their lives and works that helped shape the national character.
- The Department of Education, Culture and Sports reiterates the enforcement of Republic Act No. 1425, mandating the inclusion of the “Life, Works, Writings, Teachings, Virtues and Values of Dr. Jose P. Rizal” in the curriculum for both the elementary and secondary levels.
- The elementary curriculum shall include lessons on Rizal’s biography and writings geared to the development of moral character, personal discipline, civic conscience, citizenship and vocational efficiency in Sibika at Kultura, Heograpiya, Kasaysayan at Sibika, Edukasyon sa Wastong Pag-uugali or Character Education/Good Manners and Right Conduct and Communica¬tion Arts.
- The secondary curriculum shall include lessons not only on a more advanced study of Rizal’s life, but also materials from writings which are suitable to its level.
- Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
Reference: DECS Order: No. 6, s. 1995
Allotment: 1-2-3-4—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
Course of Study, ELEMENTARY
Course of Study, SECONDARY