January 6, 1997 – DO 1, s. 1997 – Organization of a Regional SPED Unit and Designation of Regional Supervisor In-Charge of Special Education
Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
- In recognition of the global commitment of providing access to education, Article XIV of the 1987 Philippine Constitution and R.A. 7277 otherwise known as the Magna Carta for Disabled Persons mandate the State to provide relevant education to the needs of people and the society. In view of this, the education of the estimated 4 million Filipino children with special educational needs should be addressed.
- Regional directors are enjoined to designate a full time regional supervisor in-charge of Special Education and organize a SPED Unit. The composition of this Unit shall include representatives from the following divisions:
– Elementary Education Division
– Secondary Education Division
– Non-formal Education Division
– Physical Education Division
- The Unit is primarily tasked to assist the regional director in the formulation and supervision of the implementation of policies, plans, programs and projects relevant to the educa¬tion of elementary and secondary students with special needs in regular schools.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is desired.
Allotment: 1-(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: