April 28, 1997 – DO 38, s. 1997 – Implementing Guidelines for the DECS-Special Program for the Employment of Students for Summer of 1997
- In line with the mandate of Executive Order No. 139 dated November 28, 1983, pursuant to Republic Act No. 7323 otherwise known as “An Act to Help Poor But Deserving Students Pursue their Education by Encouraging their Employment During Summer and Christmas Vacations” and Its Implementing Guidelines, and in consonance with the DECS Kabataan 2000 Programs, the Department of Education, Culture and Sports will implement for the fourth time the DECS Special Program for the Employment of Students (DECS-SPES) at the DECS Central Office and DECS Regional Offices.
- The objectives of the program are as follows:
- Develop the intellectual capacities of children of poor families and harness their potential for the country’s development;
- Instill among the youth a sense of awareness of the vision, policies and programs of the administration;
- Provide the youth with alternatives to instill in them the values of discipline, hardwork, community service, teamwork, volunteerism and the bayanihan spirit through productive and constructive undertakings; and
- Provide training and financial assistance to the youth to support their educational and career development.
- Qualified to avail of the program are in-school youth and out-of-school youth who are 15 to 25 years old, whose parents combined net income is not more than thirty-six thousand pesos (P36,000.00), and who have garnered at least an average passing grade during the last school year/term preceding the summer vacation.
- All applicants must bring with them an original copy or certified true copy of their birth/baptismal certificate, parents’ original or certified true copy of income tax return and original classcard/report card of the last school term preceding summer vacation.
- Successful applicants will be paid according to existing minimum daily wage rate of which 60% will come from the savings of the employing agency/office while the other 40% shall be paid by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) in the form of Education Voucher. Regional directors and other field officials are requested to coordinate with their counterpart. COCOPEA and DOLE officials for the effective implementation of the program.
- For the DECS Central Office, the following guidelines shall be observed:
- Employment period shall commence from May 1 and shall end on May 31, 1997.
- A minimum of three and a maximum of five slots shall be allotted to each bureau center and service while one slot shall be allotted each to the Office of the Secretary, Office of Undersecretaries and Office of the Assistant Secretaries.
- All heads of concerned offices shall cause for the creation of a screening committee tasked with evaluating and screening the applicants based on the criteria set forth in this Order and based on the skills needed by their respective offices.
- Each screening committee shall then submit the list of the successful applicants together with the supporting documents to the DECS K-2000 Task Force for the final assessment.
- Each screening committee shall orient the applicants of the respective office functions and role to instill to each applicant the true intent and purpose of the program which is to make the student-participant an effective employee of their respective Offices.
- Only the name of the DECS Kabataan 2000 Action Officer and her signature shall contain the appointment of all qualified SPES participants.
- Each regional office shall employ five (5) SPES participants to their respective jurisdiction based on the criteria set forth in this Order.
- For the effective implementation of DECS-SPES Program and other DECS Kabataan 2000 Program, a Task Force is hereby created and shall be composed of the following personnel:
Dr. Lourdes V. Macatangay – Chairman and National Action Officer
Melindre B. Baria – Assistant Action Officer
Joey G. Pelaez – Assistant Action Officer
Florelyn G. Bondad – Technical Service
Flordeliza B. Buen – -do-
Luisa C. Fernandez – -do-
Renato A. Batula – -do-
- All regional offices are advised to report in writing the names, age, and sex of the participants, their assigned positions and the amount of salaries they received from the DECS regional offices. All informations must be sent to Dr. Ma. Lourdes V. Macatangay, National Action Officer for DECS Kabataan 2000 or to Ms. Melindre B. Baria, Assistant Action Officer, Office of the Director, Technical Service, Bonifacio Bldg., UL Complex, Meralco Ave., Pasig City or thru Fax No. 633-72-64/633-72-55. Inclosed is the program of activities of the DECS-SPES Program.
- Immediate dissemination of this Order to all concerned is hereby directed.
Incl.: As stated
References: DECS Order (No. 19, s. 1993 and 20, s. 1995)
Allotment: 1—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
BUREAUS & OFFICES