September 15, 1997 – DO 65, s. 1997 – Policies on the Establishment and Operation of Montessori Schools
Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Private Elementary School Principals
- General Principles. Cognizant of the constitutional mandates to exercise reasonable supervision and regulation of all educational institutions and to protect and promote the right of all citizens to quality education at all levels, the Department of Education, Culture and Sports (DECS), hereby promulgate the following policies on the establishment and operation of Montessori – type schools.
- Recognition. The Montessori system as founded by Dr. Maria Montessori is hereby recognized as an alternative to the conventional type of teaching.
- Situationer. Since its introduction in the Philippines, some 142 institutions of learning have explicitly and implicitly laid claim to using the Montessori system via their corporate or school names.
- Mechanics for Upgrading. In order to have a systematic appraisal of existing Montessori Schools and other schools requesting to operate as a Montessori school, they shall be favorably endorsed by DECS only upon compliance with Montessori standards set.
- Guidelines on Monitoring. The Federation of Montessori Schools, Inc. shall formulate guidelines and standards for the establishment and operation of Montessori schools subject to the review and approval of DECS. The same shall be endorsed to the DECS Regional officials who were given the authority to grant permits and recognition of schools pursuant to the provisions of Batas Pambansa Big. 232.
- Upgrading of Standards. Within a period of three years from the date of this Order, existing Montessori schools shall upgrade their system in accordance with the standards established and approved by the Secretary.
- Effectivity. This Order shall take effect immediately.
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be Indicated In the Perpetual Index the following subjects: