1. As a matter of policy, the DECS does not allow requests for the extension of services of its officials and employees who have reached the compulsory retirement age of 65 years. However, Section 13 (b) of R.A. 8291 amending P.D. 1146 provides:Unless the service is extended by appropriate authorities, retirement shall be compulsory for an employee at sixty-five years of age with at least fifteen years of service. Provided, That if he has less than fifteen years of service, he shall be allowed to continue in the service in accordance with existing Civil Service rules and regulations ‘ (Italics supplied).
2. On the above-cited proviso of Section 13 (b) of R.A. 8291 which allows the extension in the service of those reaching the compulsory retirement age of 65 but have not met the required 15 year of service, CSC-MC No. 27, s. 1990 states:“Any request for the extension of service of compulsory retirees to complete the fifteen (15) year service requirement for retirement shall be allowed only to permanent appointees in the career service who are regular members of the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS), and shall be granted for a period not exceeding one (1) year.”
3. Accordingly, the following guidelines for the extension of services of DECS officials/employees to complete the 15 year service requirement are hereby prescribed:
3.1 Request shall be properly endorsed by the head of office.
3.2 Request shall be filed not later than three (3) years prior to date of retirement.
3.3 Extension of service shall not be more than one (1) year.
3.4 Those who entered the service at age 57 shall not be allowed.
3.5 Must be of permanent status in the career service and member of the GSIS.
3.6 Latest performance rating is at least Very Satisfactory.
3.7 Must be physically and mentally fit as certified by a government physician.
4. It is reiterated that the existing policy of no extension of services of DECS officials and employees who have reached sixty-five (65) years of age and have rendered at least fifteen (15) years of service in government still stands.
5. Immediate dissemination of this Order is desired.
RICARDO T. GLORIA
DECS Order: No. 9, s. 1996
Allotment: 1-(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index
under the following subjects:
RULES & REGULATIONS