February 17, 1998 – DO 19, s. 1998 – Training of Textbook Evaluators by Regional Clusters
February 17, 1998
DO 19, s. 1998
Training of Textbook Evaluators by Regional Clusters
To: Bureau Directors
Heads of Public/Private Schools
All others concerned
1. This DECS Order pertains to the training of textbook evaluators in preparation for the evaluation of materials submitted by private publishers under the Second Textbook Call. Materials submitted under this Textbook Call which pass evaluation by DECS shall be eligible for purchase and use in public schools starting SY1999-2000.
2. Textbook evaluators, primarily for Grade- 4-6 and High School III and IV materials, must be identified and trained in preparation for the evaluation of materials received from private publishers this first quarter. The training of evaluators shall be done by regional cluster following the groupings and schedules in Annex 1 and number and breakdown of participants in Annex 2 of this DECS Order. A two-day live-in training is proposed for each of these trainings which shall be conducted by senior officials from the DECS Instructional Materials Council Secretariat (IMCS) and other concerned DECS Central Office Bureaus.
3. DECS Regional offices are hereby directed to immediately identify and tap qualified individuals from both the public and private sectors to serve as evaluators for this Textbook Call and undergo training (see Annex 3 for criteria and qualifications of evaluators). Officials from the DECS PROBE Regional Learning Materials Centers (RLMCs) shall also be trained as part of capacity building.
4. Necessary and allowable expenses for the training of evaluators from DECS including those from the PROBE RLMCs such as for travel and registration fees for materials, board and lodging of trainers and participants shall be chargeable against their respective Office’s budget for INSET or other allowable source. Evaluators from the private sector, however, will have to fund their own participation in these trainings. DECS Regional and Division Offices are also enjoined to finance the services of substitute teachers who may be needed to take the place of DECS Textbook Evaluators in the latter’s schools during the training.
5. The DECS policy prohibiting teachers to be pulled out from their classes during schooldays shall not apply to teachers who serve as textbook evaluators provided that necessary arrangements are made to ensure continuation of classes even in their absence.
6. Each Regional Office shall (re)assign a Textbook Evaluation Coordinator or TEC to ensure immediate and appropriate action on the provisions of this DECS Order (see Annex 4 for guidelines for regional offices). Regional TECs are expected to attend the training of evaluators for their respective regional cluster. Al1 regions must officially communicate the name of their TEC to the DECS IMCS not later than February 23.
7. The DECS IMCS shall communicate directly with the TEC of each region re. final preparation and arrangements for the trainings. The DECS IMCS is currently based at the former IMDC Complex, A. Ma. Regidor St. Area XI, UP Diliman Campus, Quezon City (P.O. Box 211; Telephone Nos. 922-9981 to 84 and Fax 920-1887).
8. For immediate dissemination and guidance of all concerned.
ANTONIO EDUARDO B. NACHURA
DECS Orders: Nos. 44 and 72, s. 1996
Allotment: 1- (D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index
under the following subjects:
under the following subjects: