To: Bureau Directors
Regional Science High School Principals
Divisional Leader School Principals (Secondary)
Vocational High School Principals
1. The Department of Education, Culture and Sports through the Bureau of Secondary Education, in its goal to produce globally competitive, self-reliant and productive citizens who can contribute to the socio-economic well-being of the community shall establish on a pilot basis in each representative region a special school which shall be called the Provincial Science and Technology High School.
2. These secondary schools are envisioned to cater to the technological demands of the community. They shall primarily focus on the application of laws and principles of science to prepare students to successfully meet the challenges of a technology-laden world of work.
3. The Provincial Science and Technology High Schools shall implement a special curriculum which provides appropriate background in Science and in Technology for students to apply knowledge, skills and attitudes learned in school and in the community businesses and industries.
4. Among the many features of the school are the following: secondary education which caters to the scientific, technological and socio-economic demands of the community; link-up with the local industries/businesses to provide additional technical knowledge and actual work experiences for students; application of learnings in Science and Technology and Home Economics in actual work situations; an enriched Science and Technology and Home Economics curricula which are geared to the existing and emerging community businesses/industries; and the application of the learnings in Science, Technology and On-Site Work Experience in a project proposal which is expected to be implemented during the fourth year.
5. The technology specialization of the school shall be dependent on the predominating/emerging industry/ies in the province.
6. While the previously established Regional Science High Schools, Learning Resource Centers and the S & T-Oriented High Schools of the ESEP cater to the intellectually gifted students and aim to prepare them for careers in the sciences, the Science and Technology High School shall focus on the average group who may or may not proceed to college. These schools shall be primarily for terminal secondary education.
7. The establishment of the schools shall either be through conversion or establishment of a new school. The process of establishment shall be called conversion if a small-size high school is totally but gradually transformed into a Science and Technology High School and the establishment of a new school is done through an evolution of a new school from an established high school.
8. The program shall be piloted in SY 1998-1999 in the sixteen regions in the following tryout schools:
Region Name of School/ Implementation Strategy
I Speaker E. Perez National Establishment
Agricultural School San Carlos City
II Sanchez-Mira School of Arts Establishment
and Trades Sanchez-Mira, Cagayan
III San Miguel High School Establishment
San Miguel, Bulacan
IV Amaya School of Home Industries Establishment
V Bonga High School Establishment
Bonga, Bacacay, Albay
VI Moscoso-Rios NHS Establishment
Villavert-Jimenez, Hamtic Antique
VII BuanoyNHS Establishment
Buanoy, Balamban, Cebu
VIII Nena School of Craftmanship Conversion
And Home Industries San Julian,Eastern Samar
IX Buayan NHS Establishment
Kabasalan, Zamboanga del Sur
X Misamis Occidental NHS Establishment
XI Bula National School of Conversion
Fisheries Gen. Santos City
XII Tamontaka High School Establishment
Tamontaka, Cotabato City
XIII Dapa NHS Establishment
Dapa, Surigao del Norte
CAR Tublay School of Home Industries Conversion
Acop, Tublay, Benguet
ARMM Tawi-Tawi School of Arts and Establishment
Trades Bongao, Tawi-Tawi
NCR Parang High School Establishment
9. Schools which shall be established/evolved from the mother school, are hereby directed to identify future school sites. Recommended school sites are suggested to be the Local Government counterpart in the establishment of said type of schools.
10. Priority in the provision of school buildings and facilities through the DECS regular budget and other supportive programs shall be given to these schools.
ERLINDA C. PEFIANCO
Allotment: l-2-(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index
under the following subjects: