Schools Division Superintendents
- In preparation for the forthcoming La Nina phenomenon and other related disasters, the Calamity/Disaster Preparedness Plan mandated under MECS Order No. 110, s. 1986 (dated July 1, 1986) is hereby reactivated. The Plan aims to promote disaster preparedness at all times among our school personnel, teachers, students and pupils.
- Likewise, the DECS Calamity and Disaster Control Groups as organized in DECS Memorandum No. 248, s. 1998, are directed to perform the following tasks:
- Identify and make available school buildings nearest the affected areas as evacuation centers;
- Determine the number of evacuees that may be accommodated in each evacuation center;
- Assist in rescue and relief activities;
- Conduct periodic evacuation drill exercises to orient students/pupils on the proper and orderly movement of people and supplies in times of peril;
- Conduct training programs on the nature of different calamities/disasters and other precautionary measures; and
- Coordinate with the Local Disaster Coordinating Councils (LDCCs), and the Regional Coordinating Council (RDCC), and the DECS Disaster Control Group (c/o Physical Facilities Division, Office of Planning Service, Central Office) on matters relating to the Plan.
- Reference shall be made to DECS Memorandum No. 425, s. 1998 (Vulnerability Areas of the La Nina Phenomenon) in performing the above-enumerated tasks.
- The disaster Control Group will adopt the following strategies:
- Before the disaster/calamity
- Prepare Action Plan for Disaster/Calamities and standard operating procedures and train all personnel accordingly;
- All schools shall have the basic alarm or bell systems fire-fighting equipment, fire escape facility, first aid kits, etc.
- Organize the Disaster Control Group into various disaster control/prevention teams such as fire fighting team first aid team, rescue team, evacuation team, etc. to follow certain standard operating procedures
- During the disaster/calamity
- Activate the Disaster Control Group in all schools
- Alert all personnel on the operation of utilities and equipment and the shutting off of electric current.
A report on the extent of calamity/disaster should be submitted to the Secretary of the Department of Education, Culture and Sports, using available communication systems (telephone, FAX, telegram, etc.)
- After the calamity/disaster
- Make available school buildings nearest the affected areas as emergency/evacuation centers
- Provide volunteer teachers, students and pupils to assist working-calamity committees
- Detail available manpower to help in the rescue, relief and rehabilitation activities
- Perform estimates of damages to school properties, particularly to school buildings, facilities and equipment
- Report the same to the DECS Disaster Control Group
- Start rehabilitation of damaged school buildings whenever possible (subject to the availability of funds)
- Before the disaster/calamity
- The Office of the Planning Service (OPS), in coordination with the Office of Civil Defense, Department of National Defense, shall initiate a seminar-workshop on disaster preparedness and control in the Central Office where personnel of the staff bureaus, service units shall be provided with training and guidelines on said subject matter. Likewise, the DECS Regional Disaster Control group shall lead in the training programs in the regional/division/district level in coordination with the Regional Disaster Coordinating Council (RDCC) and the DECS Central Office. Guidelines for the Conduct of the Training Program in the different levels is hereby attached. The regional directors, superintendents, supervisors are also requested to submit the Regional and Division Plan as well as the composition of Disaster Control Groups on the different levels to the DECS Central Office at the earliest possible time.
- Immediate dissemination of the contents of this Order is hereby desired.
Incl.: As stated
MECS Order No. 110, s. 1996
DECS Memorandums: (Nos. 248 and 425, s. 1998)
Allotment: 1–(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: