March 14, 2000 DO 17, s. 2000 – Clarification on the Accreditation for Philippine Schools Abroad
Schools Division/City Superintendents
- In connection with Article IV, Sections 22 to 30 of the Manual of Regulations for Philippine Schools Abroad, the following clarifications are given on the concept of accreditation:
- Strictly speaking, accreditation applies not to the school but to a program/s i.e. elementary program which may include pre-school and/or secondary program. Thus, an accredited school may offer only elementary or secondary program or both.The exception is a foreign school, a Saudi school for example, which requests to implement the Philippine curriculum for Filipino students. Having met all the requirements, it may be given authority to do so.
- Accreditation comes in two stages, the Permit Phase and the Recognition Phase. The school applies to DECS by submitting all the necessary documentation and undergoes an ocular inspection by a team of DECS officials. After satisfying the requirements, DECS issues a Permit to Operate, renewable every schoolyear until the year previous to the beginning of the last curriculum year of the particular program/s: Grade V of the elementary level and Third Year of the secondary level.Then, the school applies for a Certificate of Recognition to DECS, the issuance of which is dependent on the performance of the school and where possible, on the results of actual inspection of the school.
- The Certificate of Recognition continues to be valid, unless a written order of revocation is issued by DECS.
- Recognition provides the school a permanent authority to operate program/s; to give certificates or diplomas to those who have completed the program/s; to qualify its students to take the NEAT and/or NSAT; and to entitle graduates to all the benefits and privileges enjoyed by graduates of similar program/s in all schools recognized by DECS.
- The list of DECS-accredited schools is enclosed.
- Immediate and wide dissemination of this Order is directed.
DECS Order: No. 35, s. 1999
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under toe following subjects: