DO 82, s. 2003 – Amendment of DepEd Order No. 79 s. 2003 on Assessment and Evaluation of Learning and Reporting of Students’ Progress in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
To: Regional Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public Elementary/Secondary School Principals
- Initial feedback from the field on the implementation of DepEd Order No, 79 reveals the following:
- While its provisions were extensively discussed during the recent Educators Congress in Baguio City and the issuance subsequently released, it appears that the necessary information did not reach the school level in time for the administration of the periodical tests and the computation of the grades for the second grading period.
- DepEd Order No. 79 also prescribes certain modifications in the testing instruments which could only be implemented after some orientation and/or training is conducted for teachers. Based on field reports, the required information dissemination and orientation/training could only be undertaken on a massive scale during the last week of October intended for Teachers’ INSET.
- There are other components of a student’s grade such as homework, recitation, etc. which can still be assessed using existing practices.
- In view thereof, the implementation of DepEd Order No. 79 shall be effective only in the Third Grading Period of SY 2003-2004.
- To support its full implementation, all field offices are directed to intensify their training and supervision activities to equip their teachers and other school personnel with the necessary knowledge and skills especially with regard to test design, the revised grading system and the use of rubrics or scoring guides for non-traditional assessment.
For immediate dissemination and strict compliance.
DepED Order: (No. 79, s. 2003)
Allotment: 1—(D O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: