DO 44, s. 2005 – Declaration of Schools as Zones of Peace
August 8, 2005
DO 44, s. 2005
Declaration of Schools as Zones of Peace
Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- Whereas, under Republic Act No. 7610, known as the “Special Protection of Children Against Child Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act”, states that “… Children are hereby declared as Zones of Peace. It shall be the responsibility of the State and all other sectors concerned to resolve armed conflicts in order to promote the goal of children as zones of peace …” (Article X, Sec. 22).
- Whereas, under Republic Act No. 9155, known as the “Governance on Basic Education Act of 2001 ”, one of the purposes and objectives of the Department of Education (DepED) is “to establish schools and learning centers as facilities where schoolchildren are able to learn a range of core competencies prescribed for elementary and high school education programs or where the out-of-school youth and adult learners are provided alternative learning programs and receive accreditation for at least the equivalent of a high school education” [Sec. 3(g)].
- Whereas, the DepED is a direct service provider to Filipino children by providing quality basic education and is also a member of the Inter-Agency Committee in Children Involved in Armed Conflict (IAC-CIAC), which is under the oversight of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP).
- Therefore, DepED affirms its commitment for the children by declaring the “Schools as Zones of Peace”.
- Furthermore, all concerned personnel in the Central and field offices are mandated to make necessary actions to make all schools a place where children can receive utmost security and peace.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
PEACE EDUCATION PUPILS