DO 36, s. 2006 – Implementing Rules and Regulations on Executive Order No. 210 (Establishing the Policy to Strengthen the Use of the English Language as a Medium of Instruction in the Educational System)
August 22, 2006
DO 36, s. 2006
Implementing Rules and Regulations on Executive Order No. 210 (Establishing the Policy to Strengthen the Use of the English Language as a Medium of Instruction in the Educational System)
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Pursuant to the provisions of Executive Order No. 210, the following rules and regulations are issued for the effective implementation of the policies established therein, and in reiteration of increased time allotment in the use of English for classroom instruction, as stipulated in previous implementing guidelines:
- English shall be taught as a second language starting with Grade I;
- As provided for in the 2002 Basic Education Curriculum, English shall be used as the medium of instruction for English, Mathematics and Science and Health starting Grade III; and
- The English language shall be used as the primary medium of instruction in all public and private schools in the secondary level, including those established as laboratory and/or experimental schools, and vocational/technical institutions. As the primary medium of instruction, the percentage of time allotment for learning areas conducted in the English language should not be less than 70% of the total time allotment for all learning areas in all year levels.
- For ready reference, enclosed herewith is the table showing the Percentage of Subjects by Medium of Instruction (English and Filipino) in the Secondary Level.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
Encl.: As stated
Reference: DepED Memorandum: No. 189, a. 2003 Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
LANGUAGE Learning Area, ENGLISH RULES & REGULATIONS