March 31, 2008 DO 22, s. 2008 – Calendar for School Year 2008-2009 Amended by
March 31, 2008
DO 22, s. 2008
Calendar for School Year 2008-2009
To Bureau Directors
Schools Division/City Superintendents
School Heads. Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
- For School Year (SY) 2008-2009, the following dates and periods shall be observed in all elementary and secondary schools:
1.1 The opening of SY 2008 – 2009 shall be preceded by the National Schools Maintenance Week, scheduled on May 19 – 23. 2008 to enable the community and the school to prepare their facilities for the start classes.
1.2 The school year shall begin on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 and end on Friday, April 3, 2009. It shall consist of two hundred three (203) class days. This is inclusive of the 5-day semestral break and the parent-teacher conferences that shall be held one Saturday immediately following the week after the administration of the periodical examinations. The conference is intended to apprise the parents of the progress or performance of their children and ensure parental involvement in school activities.
1.3 The Christmas break shall begin on Saturday, December 20, 2008. Classes shall resume on Monday, January 5, 2009.
1.4 The summer classes shall begin on Monday, .April 13, 2009 and end on Saturday May 23, 2009. It shall consist of a 3-hour daily session per subject area from Monday to Saturday for thirty-six (36) days exclusive of May 1, 2009 which is a legal holiday and May 25, 2009 which is the day for the final examination.
1.5 The number of school days per month and the indicative events for the school year are listed in the Enclosure.
- The dates given in this calendar shall be compulsory for public elementary and secondary schools. The private schools may opt to deviate from this school calendar provided they do not start classes earlier than the 1st Monday of June and later than the 1st Monday of August. However, compliance to the minimum number of class days and advanced notification to the DepED of any deviation are required.
- The observance of school celebrations or activities and holidays other than those indicated in the school calendar shall be allowed provided that the minimum number of class hours and days is maintained. Make up classes shall be held to compensate for localized suspensions due to typhoons and other calamities or local celebrations such as town or barangay fiestas, foundation day and holding of academic and non-academic competitions. The Regional Offices have the option to issue a regional school calendar to reflect their respective concerns provided that the total number of school days is maintained.
- At the end of the school year, the Division Offices shall report the actual number of school days held in every school under their jurisdiction. Regional Offices shall submit not later than two weeks after the end of the school year a report on the actual number of school days in the different school divisions under their jurisdiction together with recommendations on how the policy on meeting the required number of school days can be strengthened.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Order: No. 11, s. 2008
Allotment: 1-—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
CELEBRATIONS & FESTIVALS