August 27, 2008 DO 60, s. 2008 – Addendum to DEPED Order No. 36, s. 2006 (Implementing Rules and Regulations on Executive Order No. 210, Establishing the Policy to Strengthen the Use of the English Language as a Medium of Instruction in the Educational
Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division / City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
- The increased time allotment in the use of English for classroom instruction as stipulated in DepED Order No. 36, s. 2006 and pursuant to the provisions of Executive Order No. 210 is hereby reiterated.
- Filipino and English shall remain the languages of instruction as per the Bilingual Education Policy and the local languages are to be used as auxiliary languages of instruction for formal education and for the alternative learning system.
- The use of the mother tongue as the language of instruction beginning in Grade 1 is now recognized as the most effective way to improve student learning and shall also serve as a strong bridge language to learn a second language better and faster. For learners in the alternative learning system, the mother tongue is likewise recommended as the language of instruction for basic literacy.
- All Bureau Directors are hereby directed to provide the field offices through the regional offices successful models of language of learning that have been developed and have resulted in the students’/learners’ higher cognitive development and faster acquisition of basic literacy. The integration into the improvement plans of schools and learning centers of projects to use the mother tongue as the language of instruction beginning Grade 1 (or its equivalent level in ALS) is encouraged.
- The utilization of MOOE, school board funds and other funds is hereby authorized for the following expenditures that may be required during the planning and implementation phases of using the mother tongue as a language of instruction: a) developing, printing and distributing teachers’/facilitators’ guides, students’/learners’ workbooks, and other instructional materials; b) training of teachers and hiring of specialists; and c) other auxiliary services including advocacy work and community mobilization and evaluation and monitoring of learning outcomes.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Order: (No. 36, s. 2006)
Allotment: 1–(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
Learning Area, ENGLISH
RULES & REGULATIONS