DO 75, s. 2008 – Institutionalization of the Maintenance and Operation of Library Hubs
December 12, 2008
DO 75, s. 2008
Institutionalization of the Maintenance and Operation of Library Hubs
To: Bureau Directors
Schools Division/City Superintendents
- To further make basic education and its learning resources accessible to all, the Department of Education (DepED) launched an innovative project dubbed Library Hub, which is located in strategic locations in schools division.
- The project aims to develop love and habit of reading among students in public elementary and secondary schools by building “warehouse libraries” nationwide provided with Supplementary Reading Materials (SRM).
- Under its cost-partnership scheme, government and non-government organizations, local government units, and the private sector are encouraged to partner with DepED by partially funding the renovation or construction of the Hub, including the provision of its furniture and equipment. This is in coordination with the schools division.
- The components of the Project are:
- Strategic Sourcing;
- Physical Facilities Development;
- Distribution of Supplementary Reading Materials;
- Project Orientation; and
- Monitoring and Evaluation.
- To date, there are 35 operational Hubs under Batch 1; another 35 Hubs are partially operational under Batch 2; and 35 Hubs are under renovation under Batch 3. Another 40 Hubs are launched this year under Batch 4.
- In order to attain the objectives of the Project, funding for the operation and maintenance of the Hubs is hereby institutionalized through the use of Division/School Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE).
- The following activities and items are authorized to be funded from
- Library Hub-related in-service trainings and activities;
- Electric and water bills; and
- Office supplies and other materials and basic equipment necessary for the operation of the Hub.
- To ensure the effective implementation of the Project, regional offices, schools divisions and school heads are directed to include in their work financial plans and School Improvement Plan; and Annual Implementation Plans the Library Hub operation and maintenance.
- The Library Hub Project is existing under the Office of Undersecretary for Finance and Administration under the stewardship of Hon. Teodosio C. Sangil, Jr. with office address at DepED Central Office, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City with telephone numbers (02) 633-9342 and 631-9640. The Project Team is currently headed by Beverly Gonda-Bername, Administrative Officer V, and assisted by Herman Belles, Senior Administrative Assistant.
- To ensure the effective implementation of its activities, the Project Team organized a Core Group consisted of representatives from BEE, BSE, BALS, IMCS, PFSED, NETRC, SHNC and officials from the regions and schools divisions. There are also representatives from the National Library, UP Open University, Ateneo de Manila University, and NGOs.
- All schools divisions are encouraged to set-up one or more Library Hubs in their respective divisions and conduct strategic-sourcing to provide additional support for the establishment, operation and maintenance of Hubs.
- Immediate and wide dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index Under the following subjects: