To: Bureau Directors
Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Secondary Schools
- Pursuant to Section 36 ( c ) “Random Drug Testing for Secondary and Tertiary Students” of Article III of Republic Act 9165, otherwise known as the “Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002” and in compliance with the President’s instruction to intensify the anti-drug abuse campaign, random drug testing of students in all public and private secondary schools nationwide shall be conducted starting February 2009. Its primary purpose is to determine the prevalence of drug users among the students so that appropriate interventions be instituted. It must be emphasized that the costs of the drug tests shall be borne by the government.
- The enclosed General Guidelines, approved by the Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB) through Board Regulation No. 6 dated August 1, 2003, shall serve as a major reference in the implementation of the random drug testing. In order to have a clear understanding of the guidelines, a two-day live-in work-conference will be conducted at the Development Academy of the Philippines, Tagaytay City on January 29-30, 2009.
- Participants to this activity are the designated regional coordinators of the National Drug Education Program, who will be mainly responsible in disseminating the guidelines, and will assist the teams in the actual conduct of RDT in the schools. Travel expenses of participants shall be chargeable against local funds, while board and lodging, supplies and materials, rental of equipment, honoraria and travel expenses of consultants, resource speakers, facilitators and staff, and other operational costs shall be chargeable against OSEC funds subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
- The School Health and Nutrition Center shall draw up a schedule of the random drug testing, in the various regions/divisions, in coordination with the Department of Health (DOH) and Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB). As in the past, the DOH personnel will actually administer the drug test to randomly-selected students in schools. Region/division offices shall be informed of the schedule of drug testing. For more information, please contact Assistant Secretary Thelma G. Santos at tel. nos. (02) 632-9935 or (02) 638-8525.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
As stated Reference:
Allotment:: 1- -(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
DRUG EDUCATION STUDENTS