To: Bureau Directors
Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- The 2009 Graduation Rites shall focus on the theme “My Education: My Contribution to the Future” (Edukasyon ko: Handog ko sa Kinabukasan). It shall be scheduled any day between March 28-April 3, 2009.
- In line with the government’s austerity program, this Office reiterates the Department’s policy on the conduct and collection of fees for graduation rites as contained in DepED Order No. 8, s. 2005 with some revisions, to wit:
- Public schools are not allowed to collect any graduation fees or any kind of contribution for graduation rites;
- PTA/PTCAs may solicit voluntary contributions from their members for graduation ceremonies and celebrations; however, teachers and principals should not be involved in the collection of said contributions. Use of such contributions for graduation shall be coordinated with and properly reported to the PTA/PTCA members;
- No non-academic project shall be imposed as a requirement for graduation;
- No extraordinary venue for the ceremonies should be required. Holding the graduation within the school premises is strongly encouraged;
- No special attire for the ceremonies should be required. Wearing of togas may be allowed subject to the approval of the PTA/PTCAs officers and members representing the graduating class and that only the actual cost of rental of togas is borne by the graduating students; and
- Contributions for the annual yearbook shall likewise be on a voluntary basis.
- The graduation rites should be conducted in an appropriate solemn ceremony befitting the graduating students and their parents and shall not in anyway be used as a venue for political forum.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Order: Nos. (8, s. 2005) and 13 and 20, s. 2008 Allotment: 1- -(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: