To: Bureau Directors
Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Consistent with Section 13, Article 11 of the Philippine Constitution as reiterated in Section 32 of Republic Act No. 7610 otherwise known as “An Act Providing for Stronger Deterrence and Special Protection Against Child Abuse Exploitation and Discrimination, this Department hereby mandates the institutionalization of the use of the Personal Safety Lessons (PSL) in both elementary and secondary schools nationwide with the view of creating a friendly environment at the school level.
- Children are at a constant risk to the threats of a cruel and violent environment due to their tender age and weak physical attributes. They are often the victims of abuse and exploitation. It is incumbent upon the Department to provide the children with special protection and ensure that they will grow up healthy individuals and eventually become productive citizens that can contribute to the country’s development.
- The Personal Safety Lessons shall serve as the guiding principles for the children’s personal safety and protective behavior. They also enhance their social skills, self-esteem and the vital knowledge of their rights, as provided in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC), codified within the context of the Filipino culture.
- The enclosed guidelines are hereby issued to serve as the primary and guiding parameters in the implementation of PSL in all schools in the country.
- The Regional Office shall monitor the PSL implementation and submit a consolidated report to the Office of the Undersecretary for Programs and’ Projects not later than two months after the opening of every school year.
- All previous Memoranda, Orders, Circulars and/or guidelines inconsistent with this Order are deemed amended and superseded.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DECS Memorandum: No. 249, s. 2001 Allotment:: 1- -(D.O. 50-97
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
Learning Area, ARALING PANLIPUNAN
Learning Area, SIBIKA AT KULTURA/ HEOGRAPIYA, KASAYSAYAN AT SIBIKA PUPILS