To: Bureau Directors
Schools Division/City Superintendents Heads, Public Elementary Schools
- The pursuit of excellence is an integral goal of the educational system. Consequently, qualitative and relevant education program and services for the gifted and talented pre-schoolers are the basic aspects of the Headstart Program.
- The Headstart Program for the Gifted and Talented Preschoolers in Public Elementary Schools is a preparatory program for 4-5 years old children who manifest superior intelligence beyond their chronological age. The program provides appropriate educational services, train teachers, administrators and supervisors on the early identification of gifted and talented preschoolers, and develops an enriched curriculum that nurtures, challenges and hones the multiple intelligences of these children, imbued with desirable values.
- The main goal of the program is to ensure that all gifted and talented preschoolers are given the necessary support to attain the highest standard of achievement that matches with their abilities, intelligence and skills. Specifically, the program aims to:
- offer the services for the mastery of the basic skills and development/enhancement of the multiple intelligences at a pace and depth appropriate to the capabilities of the gifted and talented preschoolers;
- provide an environment that encourages and challenges the gifted preschoolers in the development of creativity, originality, fluency, flexibility and elaboration in their thought processes; and
- provide opportunities for the gifted/talented preschoolers to explore and develop their unique abilities.
- The program which was piloted in March 2006 has organized 44 classes with 1,600 pupils. This year 2009, during its Orientation on the Expansion of the Headstart Program, 45 new classes are expected to be organized by the teachers, schoolheads and supervisors who attended the activity.
- Enclosed are the Guidelines on the Organization of the Headstart Program; Flow Chart on Recruitment, Screening and Identification; Steps for the Recruitment, Screening, and Identifying the Gifted and Talented Preschoolers; and Headstart Form Nos. 1 to 3.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in Perpetual Index under the following subjects: