October 20, 2009 DO 109, s. 2009 – Make-Up Classes for Lost Schooldays
October 20, 2009
DO 109, s. 2009
Make-Up Classes for Lost Schooldays
To: Bureau Directors
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- Major calamities affecting the country, particularly typhoons “Ondoy” and “Pepeng” which hit the Luzon regions in the past two weeks, have caused the suspension of classes for many days. In accordance with existing policy, concerned schools will have to hold make-up classes to compensate for the lost schooldays.
- Depending on the number of lost schooldays, elementary and secondary schools are hereby directed to prepare and implement a plan for holding make-up classes during the following periods, ranked in order of priority:
- Saturdays of October, November and December, excluding those in the Christmas vacation;
- Midyear break (October 26-30, 2009), for assessment and teachers in-service training; and
- Saturdays of January to March 2010, in cases where the make-up classes in the periods stipulated in 2.a and 2.b are not adequate and in the event that there will be additional lost school days in the remaining months of the school year.
- Additionally, schools can undertake modularized instruction which would allow students to undertake studies at home to make up for the loss in class hours. DepEd’s Modified In-School/Out-of-School Approach allows schoolchildren who are unable to attend school to study their lessons through modules that run parallel to lessons taught in school.
- Division offices shall keep track of the lost schooldays in the schools under their jurisdiction and the holding of make-up classes to ensure that the number of schooldays in the school calendar is preserved. They shall submit a report to their respective regional offices at the end of the school year.
- It is understood that divisions or schools which have not been severely affected by calamities can undertake the midyear break (2.b) for its original purposes.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Order: No. 25, s. 2009 Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: