December 1, 2009 DO 117, s. 2009 – Pupil and Student Participation in the Parents-Teachers Associations (PTAs)
To: Regional Directors
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
- The Parents-Teachers Associations (PTAs) are encouraged to involve all stakeholders in the schools to ensure effective implementation of responsive programs, projects and activities. The pupils and students, being the ultimate beneficiaries of the PTAs, should be engaged in matters that affect them. Pupils and students, as part of their holistic school learning and experience, should also be exposed to actual exercises of their civic duty in a participatory democracy and practice which is one of the key attributes in the institution of the Parents-Teachers Associations in the schools.
- The cooperative partnership between the PTA and school-based pupil and student organizations should also be fostered in order to teach the pupils and students various lessons in good leadership, good citizenship, transparency and accountability, the same values being practiced by the PTA as an organization.
- Pupil and student participation in the Parents-Teachers Associations is essential to strengthen channels of communication and consultative mechanism in the operations of the organization since all programs and projects of the PTA are concentrated to the development of the school for the benefit of the pupils and students.
- In view of the foregoing, the Supreme Student Government (SSG) President, Vice-President and Secretary, the Supreme Pupil Government (SPG) Mayor and Vice- Mayor, and the Editors-in-Chief (Filipino and English) of the Pupil/Student Publication in the elementary and secondary schools representing the pupils and students and other school-based organizations shall participate in the PTA Board of Directors as Observers. They shall attend in all regular and special meetings of the PTA Board with deliberative power but without the right to vote. They shall be provided with copies of minutes of meetings, resolutions and financial reports of the PTA as provided in the transparency provisions of DepEd Order No. 54, s. 2009.
- As such, pupil/student observers are encouraged to:
- Present their programs and projects during Board Meetings in order to gain support from the PTA as an active stakeholder;
- Propose and suggest programs, projects and activities which will be undertaken with the PTA in the school level;
- Bring to the attention of the PTA the needs, issues and concerns of the pupils and students in general and recognized school-based organizations such as SPG, SSG, STEP, YES-O, YECS, School Publication, Science Club, English Club, Mathematics Club, and Culture and Arts related clubs in particular for possible support.
- Regional Directors, Schools Division/City Superintendents, Regional and Division PTA Coordinators, Public Schools District Supervisors and School Principals/Heads are enjoined to ensure the implementation of this Order at all levels.
- For queries, please contact the Office of the Undersecretary for Regional Operations thru the DepEd-Center for Students and Co-Curricular Affairs at telefax nos.: (02) 631-8495; (02) 636-3603; website: www.deped-csca.com or email@example.com
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order: (No. 54, s. 2009) Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
SOCIETY or ASSOCIATIONS STUDENTS