March 24, 2011 DO 29, s. 2011 – Revised Guidelines on the Naming and Renaming of Schools
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- The National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) formerly known as the National Historical Institute issues the revised guidelines (copy enclosed) on the naming and renaming of streets, public schools, plazas, buildings and other public structures for the guidance of all concerned.
- Renaming of an annex school requires its prior separation and grant of independence from the mother school.
- Consultation with the NHCP regarding the renaming of schools is required under Section 13 of the Local Government Code of 1991. Furthermore, only the Sangguniang Bayan may change the name of public schools and only upon the recommendation of the Local School Board (LSB) concerned (Section 13-(c)-(l) and Section 13-(e) of the same law.
- This Order amends DepEd Order No. 12, s. 2003 entitled “Reiterating the Policy on the Renaming of Schools”.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order: (No. 12, s. 2003)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
RULES and REGULATIONS