August 19, 2011 DO 64, s. 2011 – Equal Opportunities and Standard Implementation of DepEd Policies for the Alternative Learning System (ALS) Implementors
1. To ensure equal opportunities and standard implementation on the promotion and compensation of the Alternative Learning System (ALS) implementors, the Department of Education (DepEd) urges all Schools Division/City Superintendents (SDSs) and District Supervisors to strictly observe/implement relevant policies and best practices on promotion and compensation of all ALS implementors.
2. The significant role that the ALS plays in achieving education sector targets should be recognized. However, it has been observed that there is inconsistency in the interpretation and enforcement of earlier DepEd Orders on the promotion and compensation of ALS implementors, particularly at the division and district levels. This has resulted in many instances, in the demoralization and marginalization of ALS personnel severely impeding the Bureau of Alternative Learning System (BALS) in effectively achieving its targets.
3.The ALS Teacher, better known as the Mobile Teacher (MT), is a DepEd Teacher as provided for by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), and recognized by the Civil Service Commission (CSC). Therefore, the generic term Teacher shall apply to all Mobile Teachers. The District ALS Coordinator (DALSC) is also a DepEd teacher assigned either part-time or fulltime to the ALS. Therefore, the generic term Teacher shall likewise apply to all District ALS Coordinators.
4. As a Teacher of the DepEd, the Mobile Teacher/DALSC is entitled to promotion to the next higher level as a Master Teacher, as a School Head or as a Supervisor at the district, division and regional levels based on the CSC qualification standards.
5. As a Teacher, the Mobile Teacher/DALSC shall receive the same benefits and professional development packages awarded to regular teachers in terms of fellowships, scholarships and training opportunities in all learning areas of the basic education curriculum.
6. As a Teacher exposed to high risk and hazardous teaching environment, the Mobile Teacher/DALSC is qualified to receive additional welfare compensation such as hazard, hardship, transportation and teaching aid allowances.
7. As a Teacher who follows a flexible teaching schedule without summer vacation and different teaching hours to meet the learning needs of the ALS learners, the Mobile Teacher/DALSC is entitled to earn leave credits and avail of the privilege of monetization of leave credits.
8. For more information, please contact the Bureau of Alternative Learning System (BALS) at telephone number: (02) 635-5188 or fax number: (02) 633-5189 or send a message through e-mail addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org.; email@example.com.
9. Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC (signed)