March 20, 2012 DO 21, s. 2012 – Policies and Guidelines on the Implementation of the Universal Kindergarten Education Program
Assistant Secretaries Bureau Directors
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units Schools Division/City Superintendents
All Others Concerned
- The Department of Education (DepEd) shall continue with its commitment to the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) particularly MDG No. 2, which is to attain universal primary education by 2015, and Education for All (EFA) objectives, particularly Critical Task No. 2, to expand the coverage of the Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD) Program to yield more EFA benefits giving priority to those who are in vulnerable, disadvantaged and underserved areas.
- Beginning School Year (SY) 2011-2012, this Department has intensified efforts to attain universal Kindergarten coverage through different modalities and in coordination with concerned agencies on health, welfare, and education of five (5)-year old children. Providing universal Kindergarten will prepare children physically, emotionally, socially and mentally for Grade I Curriculum which increases their chances of surviving and completing elementary education, reducing dropout and ensuring better school performance.
- For SY 2012-2013, the schedule for the opening of classes shall conform with the regular grades/level. Pursuant to the Republic Act No. 10157 approved on January 20, 2012 otherwise known as “An Act Institutionalizing the Kindergarten Education Into the Basic Education System and Appropriating Funds Therefore,” the Policies and Guidelines on its Implementation as provided in Enclosure No. 1 will be guided by the following components:
a. Overall Principle; g- Instructional Support to
b. Objectives of the Program; Kindergarten;
c. Enrolment Requirement; h. Contingency Measures; and
d. Kindergarten Education Program; i. Monitoring and Evaluation
e. Curriculum and Training; (M & E).
f. Teacher Deployment and Provision of Classrooms;
- The annual funding allocation is chargeable to the Kindergarten Education for All Children per General Appropriations Act (GAA), which shall be downloaded to regions/divisions nationwide. This will support the implementation of various activities embedded in the above indicated components e.i. payment for compensation of Kindergarten teachers/volunteers, orientations/trainings, monitoring, and other related activities subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
- To facilitate release of funds, all regions and divisions are required to submit physical and financial report. Enclosure No. 2 contains the format of the Report on the Utilization of the Downloaded Kindergarten Funds, duly certified true and correct by the schools division/city superintendents (SDSs) and the regional directors (RDs) to be forwarded to the Central Office (CO), attention: Budget Division and copy furnished Bureau of Elementary Education (BEE).
- All previous policies and issuances inconsistent with the herein policies are hereby rescinded or modified accordingly.
- These guidelines shall remain in force and in effect during the succeeding school years until revised or repealed.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order: (Nos. 23, 37 and 51, s. 2011; 99, s. 2009 and 49, s. 2008) DepEd Memorandum: No. 25, s. 2012
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
BUREAUS & OFFICES