January 25, 2013 DO 5, s. 2013 – Policy Guidelines on the Implementation of the School Readiness Year-End Assessment (SReYA) for Kindergarten
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- Pursuant to Republic Act (RA) No. 10157 otherwise known as the Kindergarten Education Act, Kindergarten Education as the first stage of compulsory and mandatory formal education is vital for the holistic development of the Filipino child.
- Kindergarten Education is hereby institutionalized as part of basic education which was made effective starting School Year (SY) 2011-2012 following the Standards and Competencies for Five-Year Old Filipino Children. Along with the implementation of this curriculum, an assessment tool is deemed necessary. Thus, the School Readiness Year-End Assessment (SReYA) was restructured and contextualized into 12 dominant languages (Mother Tongue). The tool is intended to assess the performance level of all kindergarten pupils in the elementary school system across different developmental domains aligned with the National Early Learning Framework.
- The SReYA aims to:
- assess children’s readiness across the different developmental domains (Physical Health and Well-being, Motor Development, Mathematics, Language and Literacy, Sensory Perceptual, Physical and Social Environment, Character and Values Development, and Socio-emotional Development);
- utilize the results as basis for providing appropriate interventions to address specific needs of the children; and
- share with parents the results of their child’s assessment as basis for helping them come up with home-based activities for their supplemental learning.
- The assessment shall not be treated as an achievement test or final examination. Hence, no child shall be refused entry to Grade 1 based on the results of this assessment.
- To ensure effective and proper implementation/administration of the School Readiness Assessment, the training cum workshop of trainers on the administration of the SReYA will be conducted in January 2013. Participants to this training will be regional/division supervisors in-charge of kindergarten, one principal/school head (SH), one kindergarten teacher and one Grade 1 teacher. They are expected to deliver the same training to teachers in their respective divisions, districts and schools.
- The regional/division supervisors, district supervisors, and SHs should closely monitor the implementation and administration of the SReYA. Travel expenses for the monitoring shall be charged to their local funds subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
- Regional Consolidated Report on SReYA (Form 5) should be submitted not later than April 30, 2013 to the Curriculum Development Division-Bureau of Elementary Education (CDD-BEE), Room 204 Bonifacio Bldg., DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City 1600 with telephone no.: (02) 638-4799; fax nos. (02) 637-4347; (02) 633-7270 or send a message through email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enclosed are the following documents:
Enclosure No. 1 – Guidelines in the Administration of SReYa; and Enclosure No. 2 – SReYA Report Forms.
- Immediate and wide dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order: No. 32, s. 2012
DepEd memorandum: No. 25, s. 2012
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: