June 18, 2013 DO 27, s. 2013 – Guidelines and Procedure on the Establishment or DepEd Gender and Development (GAD) Focal Point System (GFPS) at the Regional, Division and School Levels
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- Pursuant to the provisions of Section 36-b of Republic Act (RA) No. 9710 also known as the Magna Carta of Women (MCW), all government agencies are mandated to establish and institutionalize the Gender and Development (GAD) Focal Point Systems (GFPS). The GFPS is one of the institutional mechanisms that will ensure gender mainstreaming in government offices, its attached agencies and local government units (LGUs).
- In view of this, the Department of Education (DepEd) issues the Guidelines and Procedures on the Establishment of GFPS at the Regional, Division and School Levels as follows:
- The regional directors (RDs) and schools division/city superintendents (SDSs) shall issue directives for the establishment of the GFPS in their respective offices. Schools will be assisted by their SDS in the establishment of the School GFPS;
- The composition of the GFPS shall be as follows:
- Regional Level
- Division Level
- School Level
- The tasks and functions of the members of the GFPS shall be part of their regular key result areas (KRAs), work plans and performance assessment indicators, and shall be given due consideration in the entire performance management system;
- Capacity development programs shall be provided to the GFPS members to enhance skills on gender sensitivity training, gender analysis, gender-responsive planning and budgeting, gender audit and other updates on GAD related laws, policies and instruments;
- When necessary, the GFPS head and the central office (CO) GFPS person shall conduct periodic monitoring and evaluation of the field GFPS to address possible issues hindering the performance of their functions in accordance with the MCW, this Department Order and other GAD instructions and policies;
- Funds shall be allocated for programs, activities and projects to address GAD issues in the workplace and the schools, and to support the organization, management and operations of the GFPS, to be charged to the five percent GAD budget of the region/division and school; and
- All GAD plans containing projects, programs and activities shall be part of the Work and Financial Plans (WFP), Annual Procurement Plan (APP), Regional Education Development Plan (REDP) and School Improvement Plans (SIPs). Development of the GAD plans and budgets shall be within the budget cycle and the processes stipulated in DepEd Order No. 63, s. 2012 on the Guidelines for the Preparation of GAD Plans, Utilization of GAD Budget and Submission of Accomplishment Reports.
- The functions of the GAD Focal/Point Persons are as follows:
- lead in the gender mainstreaming in policies, plans and programs projects and activities (PPAs) and in the assessment of gender-responsiveness of systems, structures, policies, procedures and programs based on priority thrusts, needs and concerns of DepEd for its stakeholders, particularly students, teachers and employees;
- analyze programs and projects using the Harmonized GAD Guidelines for Programs and Projects to determine their gender sensitivity;
- recommend formulation/revision of policies in advancing women’s status and child protection;
- lead in the review and updating of sex-disaggregated data for GAD database to serve as basis in performance-based gender responsive planning;
- implement advocacy activities, including the development of information, education and communication materials to ensure consciousness-building and generating support for GAD;
- identify gender issues arising from gender analysis and audit to serve as basis for determining PPAs in the GAD Plan;
- prepare GAD plans and budgets and accomplishment reports and ensure their timely submission to the Central Office (CO) GAD Focal Point Person (Attention: GAD Secretariat, Staff Development Division-Human Resource Development Service (SDD-HRDS), 2F Teodora Alonzo Bldg., DepEd Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City);
- ensure the effective and efficient implementation of the GAD Plan and PPAs and the judicious utilization of the GAD budget;
- recommend awards, recognition and other incentives (including performance-based bonus (PBB) to outstanding institutional GAD programs, activities and projects for GAD Focal Point members and other personnel/teachers;
- build and strengthen partnership with all GAD Focal Point Persons in the Department, the Philippine Commission on Women (PCW), National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), Department of Budget and Management (DBM), GAD-non-government organizations (NGOs) and other partners; and
- coordinate GAD efforts of all offices/units.
- The GFPS chairperson or head shall approve GAD plans and budgets of the office and shall submit to the CO-GAD Focal Point Person and shall also spearhead the Implementation of the plan. He/She shall also designate a Secretariat and M&E Team for GAD. The Secretariat shall provide administrative support to the GFPS, document GAD activities and minutes of meeting, assist in the preparation of GAD plan and accomplishment reports and in the conduct of GAD activities, programs and projects. The M&E Team shall lead the gender audit and evaluation of all GAD PPAs.
- All RDs and SDSs shall be guided by the provisions of this DepEd Order in the establishment of GFPS in their offices. They shall submit to the CO GAD Focal Point Persons the composition and members of the local GFPS.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order: (No. 63, s. 2012)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
RULES & REGULATIONS