September 9, 2013 DO 38, s. 2013 – Guidelines on the Utilization of Support Fund for Schools Implementing the Science, Technology and Engineering Program
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Secondary Schools
- In line with its thrust to strengthen Science and Mathematics education in the country, the Department of Education (DepEd), through the Bureau of Secondary Education (BSE), has officially implemented the Science, Technology and Engineering (STE) Program since 2004 in 112 schools nationwide. Initially piloted by the Science Education Institute (SEI) of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) in 1994, the schools implementing the Program have now expanded to include additional 86 public secondary schools. This specialized curriculum is offered in two classes per year level in selected general high schools with large enrolment.
- As support to the Program, DepEd shall provide financial support to public secondary schools implementing the STE Program formerly the Engineering and Science Education Program (ESEP) in the form of a nationwide lump sum from the DepEd General Appropriations.
- The beneficiaries of the fund are 198 public secondary schools, composed of 112 original ESEP schools and 86 additional schools implementing the Program, which were identified based on their readiness to implement the special curricular program.
- Each of the implementing schools shall be given developmental support fund amounting to a fixed allocation of One Hundred Forty-Four Thousand Pesos (P 144,000.00) and a variable allocation of Five Hundred Pesos (P 500.00) per student at two sections per year level, but not to exceed 320 students. The list of implementing schools and their corresponding allocations are contained in Enclosure No. 1.
- The fund shall be used only for the following objects of expenditures as reflected in the School’s Annual Implementation Plan:
- Supplies and materials to support the conduct of science investigatory projects including chemicals and other materials needed in the laboratory;
- Payment of expenses to support students’ researches and projects by authorized agencies, such as laboratory fees and tests, rentals of equipment spaces which include computer or science laboratories and transport;
- Subscription expenses for print and non-print instructional materials in Science and Mathematics, such as reference materials, professional books, and library and other reading materials, as prescribed in DepEd Order Nos. 48, s. 2011 and 112, s. 2009;
- Professional training and development of Science and Mathematics teachers, including attendance in science and mathematics-related seminars sponsored or authorized by DepEd, and payment of tuition and miscellaneous expenses of teachers who are enroled in science or mathematics-related graduate programs; and
- Minor repairs and maintenance of science laboratories and existing science equipment.
- The following objects of expenditure shall not be allowed under the fund:
- Personal Services such as salaries, overtime pay and honoraria;
- Operational expenses such as utilities (water, electricity, janitorial and security services) funded from regular MOOE; and
- Capital Outlay such as the purchase of furniture and equipment (computers, science and math equipment and others) and major repairs of equipment and laboratories.
- Operational funds shall also be provided to BSE for the conduct of activities in support of the Program as contained in Enclosure No. 2.
- Upon release of the allotment by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) to DepEd Central Office (CO), the Budget Division-Finance and Management Service (FMS) shall issue Sub-Allotment Release Orders (Sub-AROs) to the schools with financial autonomy, or to implementing units (IUs), and/or through the schools division offices (DOs) for schools without fiscal autonomy. After receipt of the Sub-AROs, the secondary IUs and the DOs shall request from the concerned DBM regional offices (ROs) the corresponding cash requirements or Notice of Cash Allocation (NCA).
- Management and disbursement of the funds, including the submission of quarterly physical and financial accomplishment reports on every third day of the month of the succeeding quarter (April 3, July 3, October 3 and January 3) using the prescribed template in Enclosure No. 3 to the DO concerned, shall be the responsibility of the school heads of the implementing schools subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
- The DO shall provide appropriate assistance, conduct quality assurance and monitoring of the program and integrate and submit the consolidated Physical and Financial Accomplishments using Enclosure No. 4 on every fifth day of the month of the succeeding quarter (April 5, July 5, October 5 and January 5) to the RO concerned, copy furnished the BSE, DepEd CO through email address: firstname.lastname@example.org and Office of the Planning Service-Planning and Programming Division (OPS-PPD) through email address: email@example.com, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
- The RO shall conduct quality assurance on the effective delivery of the program based on standards and shall extend technical assistance to the DO where the implementing schools are located.
- To ensure effective and efficient implementation of the program, an evaluation shall be conducted by a composite task force in coordination with the OPS.
- All existing Orders and Memoranda inconsistent with this Order are rescinded. These guidelines shall remain in force and effect, unless sooner repealed, amended, or rescinded.
- For more information and inquiries, all concerned may contact the Director, Bureau of Secondary Education (BSE), DepEd Central Office, 3rd Floor Bonifacio Building, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telefax no.: (02) 632-7586 or at email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order: No. 57, s. 2013; (Nos. 48, s. 2011 and 112, s. 2009)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: