October 23, 2013 DO 47, s. 2013 – Guidelines on the Utilization of Financial Assistance to Regional Science High Schools
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Regional Secretary, ARMM
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Secondary Schools
- In line with the thrust to strengthen Science and Mathematics education in the country, the Department of Education (DepEd), through the Bureau of Secondary Education (BSE), has been implementing the specialized public secondary school system through the Regional Science High Schools (RSHSs) since 1994. The RSHSs, strategically located in 17 regions nationwide, offer the accelerated curriculum on Science and Mathematics, information and technology, with required courses and a wide selection of electives, and opportunities for independent student research.
- As support to the program, DepEd provides financial subsidy to 17 RSHSs in the form of a nationwide lump sum from the General Appropriations Act of DepEd.
- Each of the RSHSs shall be given financial support consisting of a fixed allocation of One Million One Hundred Fifty Thousand Pesos (P 1,150,000.00) and a variable allocation of Two Thousand Pesos (P 2,000.00) per student. The list of implementing schools and their corresponding allocation are contained in Enclosure No. 1.
- The fund shall be utilized for the following purposes as reflected in the Annual Implementation Plan:
a. Supplies and materials to support the conduct of science investigatory projects, including procurement of chemicals and other materials needed in the laboratory;
b. Payment of expenses to support students’ research and projects by authorized agencies, such as laboratory fees, rentals of equipment and spaces that include computer or science laboratories, transport, among others;
c. Professional Training and Development of Science and Mathematics teachers, including attendance in science and mathematics-related seminars sponsored or authorized by DepEd; and
d. Minor repairs and maintenance of science laboratories and existing science equipment.
- The following objects of expenditures shall not be allowed under the fund:
a. Personal Services such as salaries and honoraria; and
b. Capital Outlay that includes the purchase of furniture and equipment.
- Operational funds shall also be provided to BSE for the conduct of different activities in support of the program based on the approved work and financial plan.
- Management and disbursement of the funds, including the submission of quarterly physical and financial accomplishment reports on every third day of the month of the succeeding quarter (April 3, July 3, October 3 and January 3) using the prescribed template in Enclosure No. 2 to the division office (DO) concerned, shall be the responsibility of the school heads of the implementing schools, subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
- The DO shall provide appropriate assistance, conduct quality assurance and monitoring of the program and integrate and submit the consolidated Physical and Financial Accomplishments using Enclosure No. 3 on every fifth day of the month of the succeeding quarter (April 5, July 5, October 5 and January 5) to the Regional Office (RO) concerned, copy furnished the BSE, DepEd CO through email address: bse.deped @yahoo.com and Office of the Planning Service-Planning and Programming Division (OPS-PPD) through email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
- The RO shall conduct quality assurance on the effective delivery of the RSHS program based on standards and shall extend technical assistance to DO where the school is located.
- To ensure effective and efficient implementation of the program, an evaluation shall be conducted by a composite task force in coordination with the OPS.
- All existing Orders and Memoranda inconsistent with this Order are rescinded. These guidelines shall remain in force and effect, unless sooner repealed, amended, or rescinded.
- For more information and inquiries, all concerned may contact the Director, Bureau of Secondary Education, DepEd Central Office, 3rd Floor Bonifacio Building, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telefax no.: (02) 632-7586 or through email address: email@example.com.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order No. 55, s. 2012
DepEd Order (Nos.: 48, s. 2011 and 112, s. 2009)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: