DO 5, s. 2014 – Implementing Guidelines on the Integration of Gulayan sa Paaralan, Solid Waste Management and Tree Planting Under the National Greening Program (NGP)
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- For efficient and effective implementation of the National Greening Program (NGP) pursuant to Section 5.2 of Executive Order (EO) No. 26, s. 2011 and DepEd Memorandum No. 58, s. 2011 entitled Creating the Task Force on National Greening Program, the Department of Education (DepEd) issues these guidelines to concretize directions in the implementation of the National Greening Program (NGP).
- These guidelines integrate the gulayan sa paaralan, ecological solid waste management and tree growing and caring as key components to attain the goals of DepEd on poverty reduction, food security, biodiversity conservation and climate change mitigation and adaptation. All other programs and projects related therein shall be integrated under NGP.
- The NGP shall be implemented in all public elementary and secondary schools nationwide by establishing vegetable gardens to serve as food basket/main source of commodities to sustain supplementary feeding, practice waste management principles such as minimization, segregation at source, reduction, recycling, re-use and composting, establish nurseries/seed banks for the propagation of vegetable seedlings, fruit-bearing trees and small trees or saplings, and support the tree planting activity in schools and in the communities. The detailed guidelines are contained in Enclosure No. 1.
- The Regional NGP coordinators, Edukasyong Pantahanan at Pangkabuhayan (EPP), and Technology and Livelihood Education (TLE) supervisors, and school health personnel shall provide technical assistance to the division NGP coordination as well as monitor the implementation of the NGP.
- The school heads shall take the lead in the implementation of NGP by integrating NGP in their School Improvement Plan (SIP), and in other co-curricular activities to ensure sustainability of the program. NGP shall also be included as one of the performance evaluation indicators among the teachers.
- All regional directors (RDs) and schools division superintendents (SDSs) shall make sure that these guidelines are enforced and complied by the schools.
- Expenses incurred for this purpose shall be charged to the regular Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE), Special Education Fund (SEF), canteen proceeds, savings or donations, and shall become part of the regular budget of the school in the succeeding fiscal year.
- This Order shall take effect immediately upon issuance.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Memorandum: (No. 58, s. 2011)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: