DO 9, s. 2014 – 2014 Graduation Rites
February 25, 2014
DO 9, s. 2014
2014 Graduation Rites
To: Bureau Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- The 2014 Graduation Rites shall focus on the theme Hindi Natitinag ang Pusong Pilipino. This theme highlights the resilience of the Filipino spirit amidst the recent calamities faced during the school year (SY). It also celebrates the ability of the Filipinos to triumph over these challenges.
- As announced in Enclosure No. 1 of DepEd Order No. 10, s. 2013 entitled School Calendar for the School Year (SY) 2013-2014, it should be scheduled either on March 27 or 28, 2014. However, for schools divisions or regions in which their SY has been extended due to natural and human-made calamities, their Graduation Rites shall be scheduled based on their respective approved revised school calendars as provided in the last sentence of Item No. 6 of said DepEd Order.
- In line with the government’s austerity program, the Department of Education (DepEd) reiterates the following policies:
- Graduation rites should be simple but meaningful affairs which encourage civic rites, sense of community, and personal responsibilities. While these rites mark a milestone in the life of the graduates, these should be conducted without excessive spending, extravagant attire, or extraordinary venue;
- Non-academic projects such as attendance to field trips, film showing, JS Promenade and other school events, but not limited to these events should not be imposed as requirements for graduation;
- Expenses relative to the activity should be charged to the school Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE) under the 2014 Budget;
- No DepEd personnel is allowed to collect any graduation fees or any kind of contribution;
- Parents and Teachers Associations (PTAs) may give donations in cash or in kind; and
- Contribution for the annual yearbook, if any, should be on a voluntary basis.
- Furthermore, the graduation rites should be conducted in an appropriate solemn ceremony befitting the graduating pupils and students with their parents, and shall not be used as a political forum.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order: Nos. 9 and (10), s. 2013
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: