DO 26, s. 2005 – Character Education as a Separate Subject of Makabayan in the Elementary Level Effective SY 2005-2006
June 1, 2005
DO 26, s. 2005
Character Education as a Separate Subject of Makabayan in the Elementary Level Effective SY 2005-2006
Schools Division/City Superintendents
- Effective SY 2005-2006, Character Education will be taught as a subject of Makabayan in the elementary level curriculum. This will appear in Form 137-E and Form 138-E of the pupils.
- The Philippine Elementary Learning Competencies (PELC) shall be the source of the expected learning outcomes and the character trait indicators are provided in DepED Order No. 33, s. 2004 (Implementing Guidelines on the Performance-based Grading System for SY 2004-2005).
- Character Education shall be allotted 30 minutes daily for Grades l-lll and 20 minutes for Grades IV-VI using Filipino as medium of instruction (Enclosure No. 1). This period is strictly to be used for this purpose only and not on routinary matters in the classroom.
- Character Education will strengthen the values integrated and learned in other learning areas.
- A separate composite rating for Character Education shall be provided before obtaining the over-all rating in Makabayan. This is based on the Test Results and Other Performance Outputs using the list of objectives/skills in the PELC and Observation Results using the character trait indicators. Teachers handling subjects in Grades IV, V, and VI shall give each pupil the rating for behavior observation and the average shall be obtained (Enclosure No. 2-A).
- In computing the General Average of a pupil, add the final ratings of the five (5) learning areas and the sum divide by 5 (Enclosure No. 2-B).
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Order: (No. 33, s. 2004)
Allotment: 1–(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
Learning AREA, MAKABAYAN