October 7, 2009 DO 103, s. 2009 – Community Involvement through Brigada Eskwela for Public Schools Affected by Typhoon Ondoy
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- To help clean and reconstruct damaged public schools and their premises due to the onslaught of Typhoon Ondoy, volunteers from communities that were not affected are urged to conduct Brigada Eskwela – or the National Schools Maintenance Week – in typhoon-stricken public schools to clean school grounds and repair classrooms and school furniture, especially those that were used as evacuation centers.
- Volunteers in the community that were not affected by the typhoon – including Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs), LGU employees, barangay officials, religious organizations, civic groups and alumni associations – are encouraged to get in touch with the school heads of typhoon-stricken schools, while local businesses are encouraged to donate cleaning and construction materials to affected public schools. Donors may also provide food and water for the duration of this clean-up drive.
- Schools heads are advised to welcome volunteers and donors from other schools and communities who are interested to help clean their public schools. They are also requested to be proactive in asking for help from potential donors.
- The list of affected public schools is posted on the DepED website (www.deped.gov.ph – under DepED Updates). For Adopt-A-School donors who are interested to help, please do not hesitate to get in touch with Mr. Romeo Parayno of the Adopt-A-School Program Secretariat at tel. nos.: (02) 638-8637 and/or (02) 638-8639.
- Adopt-A-School regional and division coordinators are advised to frequently update the Department on the number of schools that have been affected by the typhoon.
- Depending on the requirements of the school, the Brigada Eskwela that will be conducted especially for this purpose may go beyond one (1) week. Also, this will not supersede the annually conducted Brigada Eskwela scheduled two (2) weeks prior to the opening of classes.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Memorandum No.: 168, s. 2009 DepED Order No.: 24, s. 2008
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: