To: Bureau Directors
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- In support of the Philippine Plan of Action for Nutrition (PPAN) as approved by the National Nutrition Council Governing Board through NNC-GB Resolution No. 1, s. 2012, the Department of Education (DepEd) has advocated school feeding programs for the past years to improve the nutritional status of the undernourished pupils and students.
- The DepEd implements the School Feeding Programs (SFPs) to address the undernutrition problem among the learners in order to improve school attendance and to reduce dropout in schools. The SFPs may be school-initiated or sponsored by individuals, non-government organizations (NGOs) and private companies.
- The recent Updating of the Nutritional Status of Filipino Children and Other Population Groups, shows that 32.0% of 5-10 years old children are underweight and 33.6% of them have stunted growth, and 8.5% were wasted. In the DepEd Nutritional Assessment Report for School Year (SY) 2012-2013, 14.24% or approximately two million school children were wasted or thin. The target beneficiaries for any SFP are the undernourished Kindergarten (below 6 years old) and elementary pupils and secondary students (6-19 years old).
- This Order is being issued to guide the regional, division, and school officials in implementing school-initiated and/or sponsored feeding programs, thereby ensuring that the objectives of the program are achieved.
- The interested sponsors of the feeding programs are encouraged to directly coordinate with any of the following offices:
- Health and Nutrition Center (HNC) for feeding programs covering two or more regions;
- Regional Health and Nutrition Unit (RHNU) for those programs covering only one region; or
- Division Health and Nutrition Section for those programs covering a province or city/municipality.
- All school heads (SHs) shall submit the Program Terminal Report (PTR) to their
respective division offices (DOs). The DOs shall submit a consolidated SFPs Report per sponsor to the DepEd CO through the regional offices (ROs).
The enclosed PTR shall include the following:
- Program accomplishments;
- Nutritional status;
- Percentage attendance; d. Issues encountered and actions taken;
- Good practices or lessons learned;
- Personnel involved; and
- The ROs are expected to submit the report on SFPs by March of every school year using the enclosed form.
- All regional directors (RDs), schools division superintendents (SDSs), and school heads (SHs) are enjoined to extend full administrative support to the management of the program.
- The following documents are enclosed for reference:
Enclosure No. 1 – Guidelines on the Implementation of
School Feeding Programs (SFPs);
Enclosure No. 2 – Program Terminal Report; and
Enclosure No. 3 – School Feeding Programs Matrix.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order: No. 87, s. 2012
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: